Municipal Solid Waste Management
Recycling and Compositing
2020 HEAVY GARBAGE COLLECTION SCHEDULE May 4-May 30, 2020
A Heavy Garbage Collection Program will be carried out in Richmond County from May 4 to May 30, 2020. Please note that this is the only collection scheduled for 2020. Please do not place waste curbside more than a week before the scheduled collection.
|ITEMS ACCEPTED FOR COLLECTION|
(includes but not limited to)
|UNACCEPTABLE ITEMS NOT FOR COLLECTION|
(includes but not limited to)
• Walk behind lawn mowers;
• Barbecues (no propane tanks);
• Snow blowers;
• Lawn Furniture;
• Box springs and mattresses;
• Appliances (refrigerators, stoves, washer, etc);
• Hot water heaters;
• Fixtures (sinks, toilets, bathtubs,etc);
• Residential renovation,/ construction material;
• Bagged waste must be in clear, transparent, bags;
Please place similar items such as metals and loose wood in separate piles at the curbside.
Please note that no scavenging of materials at the curbside by third parties is permitted.
Items placed for heavy collection shall not exceed 75 kg (165 lbs) in weight for any one item or 150 kg. (330 lbs) for all items for any one dwelling unit and no individual item shall measure more than 2.1 meters (7 ft.) in any dimension.
Waste that qualifies for curbside collection (municipal solid waste and recyclables) should NOT be placed for Heavy Collection – it should be placed for weekly collection.
• Waste placed in non-transparent bags;
• Waste generated outside the Municipality;
• All tires with or without rims;
**These items should be returned to retailers or brought directly to the Richmond Solid Waste Management Facility;
• Household Hazardous Waste (propane tanks, wet cell batteries (car/RV/boat), insecticides, pesticides, household chemicals** These items may be brought directly to the Richmond Solid Waste Management Facility;
• Vehicle bodies / large vehicle parts;
• Electronics and computer related equipment** May be dropped off at EPRA drop off location, St. Peter’s Bottle Exchange 9395 Hwy 4, St. Peter’s;
• Paint** Household paint may be dropped off at the Richmond Solid Waste Management Facility;
• Trees and leaf and yard waste** May be dropped off at the Richmond Solid Waste Management Facility;
• Hazardous, reactive, septic or pathological waste;
• Dead animals;
• Loose broken glass (should be placed in a box or container and labelled “broken glass”);
• Asbestos containing material (contact Guysborough Waste Management Facility at 902-232-2316);
• Waste oil (return to retailer or contact the Guysborough Waste Management Facility at 902-232-2316);
Please direct any inquiries regarding the Municipality’s heavy collection to the Public Works Department at 902-226-2396 or the Richmond Solid Waste Management Facility at 902-226-2400.
2020 HEAVY GARBAGE COLLECTION SCHEDULE
May 4 – May 30/ 2020
A Heavy Garbage Collection Program will be carried out in Richmond County from May 4 to May 30, 2020. Waste should be placed curbside by 8am on Monday of the scheduled collection week for the area; items placed at the curb after collection has started in the area may not be collected.
Week 1 (May 4 – May 9)
- Petit de Grat, Little Anse, Alderney Pt, Boudreauville
- St.Peter's , River Bourgeois
- Fourchu, Framboise, Grand River, Point Michaud, Lower L'Ardoise
Week 2 (May 11 - 16)
- Rocky Bay, Cap La Ronde, D'Escousse, Martinique, Grandique Road
- Louisdale, Grand Anse, Lennox Passage
- L'Ardoise to St.Peter's
Week 3 (May 18 - 23)
- Arichat, Cap Auget, West Arichat , Janvrin's Island
- Dundee, St.George's Channel, Samsonville, Black River, Oban, Seaview
- Johnstown, Loch Lomond to St.Peter's
Week 4 (May 25 - 30)
- Remaining portions of Isle Madame
- Evanston, Lower River, Whiteside , Kempt Rd., Point Tupper
- Remaining portions of Richmond East of St.Peter’s Canal